Last-Minute Holiday Travelers Hit The Road
If you’re hitting the road for the holiday week, you definitely won’t be the only one. A total of 85.8 million Americans will be traveling for the holiday stretch of Christmas to New Year’s and most are expected to drive 50 miles or more.
While it may seem simple, AAA offers the following tips to make sure you reach your holiday destination safely:
- Keep tabs on the weather as conditions can change quickly. If it’s a long-distance trip, check in periodically using a smartphone app when you stop for food or to use a restroom.
- Keep at least half a tank of gas in the vehicle.
- Check your tires to make sure they are properly inflated before leaving.
- Have an emergency kit with blankets, gloves, hats food and water.
- And if a snow or ice storm leaves you stranded, stay with your vehicle and don’t try to walk for assistance.
Gas prices this week are up a little bit from weeks past but are still cheaper than a year ago.