Local News

Waterford Police Respond To Boy’s Letter About Speeding Cars

waterfordfinal

Isiah McLoughlin, right, wrote this letter, left, to police in Waterford about speeders on his street. They responded by increasing patrols in the area. (Left: Courtesy of Waterford Police; Right: Nellie Mell)

WATERFORD — A 9-year-old Waterford boy concerned about speeding cars and trucks on his street wrote a letter to police asking for help.

And on Tuesday, Isaiah McLoughlin got results when Waterford Officer Nicole VanOverloop visited his house.

“Every morning we wait for the bus and the passing cars, for the most part, are speeding,” said Nellie Mell, Isaiah’s grandmother. The speeding cars anger Isaiah and each morning he complains about them, she said. The speeding cars also make it tough for Isaiah to cross the street when he goes to ride his bike, Mell said.

So his grandmother told Isaiah, “Maybe you should write a letter to the police department.”

And he did.

“Dear Waterford police officers,” the letter opens. “Every morning when I wait for my bus, cars and trucks are speeding. It makes me feel unsafe. Please call my grandmother … so we can talk about the situation.”

The letter was signed, “Your friend Isaiah McLoughlin.”

Isaiah was at school Wednesday morning and unavailable for comment, but his grandmother said he was delighted that police took his letter seriously and even came to the house to talk to him about the speeding cars.

Isaiah knew VanOverloop because she is the town’s youth officer and has been to his school.

“He was very pleased that they answered his letter, especially in person, and that they took him seriously,” Mell said.

“It’s a very good life lesson,” she added. “If you have a problem with something there’s almost always some out there who can help you figure out a solution to it. You have to be polite, then listen.”

When VanOverloop visited Isaiah, she told him that police would do speed enforcement on his street, Fog Plain Road, beginning Wednesday.

Waterford police were so delighted with Isaiah’s letter they shared it and what they’re doing in response to his concerns on their Facebook page.

VIEW & ADD COMMENTS

12 Comments to “Waterford Police Respond To Boy’s Letter About Speeding Cars”

theone said:
    March 26, 2014 at 4:29 PM

to bad once the speed traps are gone the speeds will be right back up

Bob said:
    March 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM

His English teacher should be ashamed of him/herself.

Red said:
    March 27, 2014 at 5:33 PM

He's NINE!!? And his handwriting looks like that?? Sheesh.

Toni said:
    March 27, 2014 at 7:38 PM

I would promote those officers just for decrypting that handwriting

shore said:
    March 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Good for him. I have spent over 20 years writing letters since I was this kids age about people doing 60 through the stop sign in front of my house. It is a side street. Eventually something was done but when a new county executive was elected everything went back. The cops refused to write tickets. In the past school busses full of kids were stopped for speeding and blowing stop signs. When I became an Eagle scout all the elected officials that I wrote letters too and refused to help me were uninvited to the ceremony because I refused to allow them the photo opp. Goof for this kid and I hope in his town they do make a difference because I know first hand what is going on with the speeding cars.

Bob said:
    March 28, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Want to stop the speeding or at least put a big dent in it? Raise the fine to $1,000.00