Cooking In The Kitchen
Daytrips & Destinations: Caribbean Island Food
Guest: Chef Dr. Jon Daly; Hospitality Program Chair, Lincoln College Of New England
Antigua Pepperpot with Fungee
- 1 lb. salt pork, cubed
- 1 lb. beef, cubed
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 4 fresh okra, sliced
- 1 tbsp. fresh chive, chopped
- 1 tbsp. thyme, chopped
- 2 chopped onions, diced
- 2 cups green peas frozen
- 1 lb. chopped spinach
- 2 sliced tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup butternut squash, diced
- Salt and pepper- to taste
- Render the salt pork over low heat until brown. Remove pork.
- Cook the meat in the salt pork grease, butter, and canola oil.
- Add the vegetables except the green peas and add the seasoning.
- Add just enough water to cover and cook for about an hour.
- Add green peas as vegetables are almost tender.
When cooked, serve hot with fungee.